Grants for Social Work

Posted on September 17, 2016 in Career Grants

Social Work Grants Help You Succeed

If you are considering a career in social work, you know you need to have an advanced degree in order to get the career you really want. With 4 or more years of college ahead of you, the financial strain to make ends meet while completing school can be a real challenge. This is where social work grants come in. You can use grants to help make going to college easier. Find out what social work grants are and how they can help you succeed in meeting your educational goals.

What Social Work Grants Are

If you are a social work major, you may want to consider applying for social work grants to help you pay for school. Social work grants are federal grants given to students who cannot pay for their further education on their own. It is money you don't have to pay back, and you can use the funds you receive to pay for tuition, books, school supplies, and other necessities as you go through school. You need to have a good academic standing and be able to show proof of income (or lack thereof) to be eligible for a social work grant. The most popular grant is a Pell grant, which you can apply for by talking to your financial aid advisor at your college. Other social work grants are available to help you succeed.

Available Social Work Grants

Social work grants are available to minority students and students with a low income. You can also get grants based on your specific area of study. Both the American Indian Education Program and the National Association of Black Social Workers offer grants for minority students who major in social work. You must supply proof of ethnicity to receive help with tuition via the American Indian Education Program.

The National Association of Social Workers provides financial aid to social worker students of all ages, race, creed, or gender. You can apply for a grant through this organization to help you pay for school.

Some colleges offer grants for social worker majors as well. Consider the University of Utah, which provides grants and scholarships for their social work department majors. Other colleges and states may offer assistance to help you with your schooling. Talk to your financial aid advisor to see if assistance is offered where you live.

Applying for Social Work Grants

In order to apply successfully for social work grants, you must provide your school's name, how many credits you are taking, your major of interest, and your income. This information will help determine how much money you are eligible for each semester. You must reapply for a grant every year you are in school. Your financial aid advisor can help you fill out forms for social work grants.

If you are worried about how you are going to pay for your social work program, think of how grants can assist you. When you apply for social work grants, you can quickly get the money you need to help offset the expense of furthering your education. Talk with your financial aid advisor at your college to see what you need to do to apply for a Pell grant and other types of social work grants to help you pay for college.

Back to Blog